Sitting at a desk all day is not good for the waistline. This is especially true if you keep a bag of choccies on your desk.
When You Need a Snack…
The first exercise you need to do to lose the weight is taking the sugar-loaded snacks (and the choccies) to the trash. When you’re working you will be consuming calories without even thinking about what you’re doing. Lose the junk and sugar to lose the weight.
Drink more water as well. When you’re thirsty it often feels like hunger, so you’ll eat. Soft drinks are packed with sugar and diet soda is packed with chemicals. Plus, those who drink diet drinks often complain of feeling hungry all the time. Stick with water or green tea. Put some sliced lemons or lime in the water if you need to add some taste.
When you need a snack, have some fruit, pumpkin seeds or some raw nuts. Eat protein and fibre with your meals so you won’t be hungry thirty minutes later.
There are many exercises you can do to get you away from your desk. Here are a few
- If you’re like many Aussies, you already have a piece of exercise equipment sitting in the corner of your bedroom with clothes hanging on it. Take the clothes off and get on it yourself. Do this every day for at least a month. By that time you’ll have made it a habit. Decide how long you’re going to walk or bicycle and stick to that time. You could even do it watching the TV.
- At least once a day, when you can, get out and walk, jog or ride a bicycle. The sunshine and fresh air will help your mood. Plus, walking releases natural endorphins.
- Take a couple of afternoons off to play tennis with a friend, go swimming or take a jazzercise class. It will give you some social time as well as exercise.
- Step aerobics or Yoga can be done with low-cost equipment, an instructional DVD and a limited amount of space.
- Can’t afford an exercise machine? Buy a jump rope or run in place to get your heart rate going. Go crazy in the back yard.
- Even jumping jacks or running in place will get your heart pumping.
- Sit-ups and push-ups can help rid you of unwanted belly fat.
- High intensity training is an effective way to get a good workout in a short amount of time. You exercise in high gear for a few minutes, then go slow for a couple of minutes. You repeat this cycle several times. Don’t use this method until you’ve been exercising for a while, though.
If you haven’t exercised lately it’s always good to visit your doctor and have a check-up before you start a new exercise regimen.
Getting the Right Balance
A good weight-loss plan includes both weight lifting and cardio. You’ll need to include both as well as eating a healthy diet. The simple fact of burning more calories than you consume still applies, no matter how many trend diets try to tell you different.
Make sure the calories you eat are providing you with nutrients and not empty calories. More veggies, lean protein, and some fruit is as easy as it gets. If you eat too few calories, your metabolism will slow down and you’ll be unable to burn fat, so don’t veer too far in either direction.
Don’t let sitting at a desk all day ruin your health. Get up and move today.