The Young Technologists Scholarship has been established by the Westpac Bicentennial Foundation to deepen and broaden Australia’s pool of technology talent. The Scholarship aims to encourage greater diversity in the technology sector and to assist young talented students in overcoming socio-economic barriers to study.
Applications now open for 2016. The Westpac Young Technologists Scholarship aims to foster generations of technologists and innovators. Young Technologists scholars will help strengthen Australia’s pool of local talent and build a cohort of technology-literate future leaders. Scholarship recipients will become members of the Westpac Scholars Alumni program and gain access to ongoing networking, learning and development opportunities.
Scholarships will be offered through 14 partner universities across the country and include $5000 per annum for up to five years.
Value and duration
This scholarship is valued up to $25,000 paid up to 5 years, depending on the recipient’s enrolled course at the time of offer.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for this scholarship, applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- Australian citizen or holder of an Australian permanent resident visa or permanent humanitarian visa; and
- Current school leaver who received an Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR) or equivalent score; and
- Non-current school leavers, under 26 years of age at the commencement of the relevant academic year; and
- Achieved an ATAR or equivalent of 80 or above, excluding bonus points; and
- For the duration of the Scholarship: full-time enrolment in one of the below specified UTS undergraduate degrees and relevant majors; and
- All candidates must apply using the UTS online Scholarships Application form to be eligible.
In addition, preference will be given to applicants who meet one or more of the following criteria:
- From low socio-economic status backgrounds (low SES);
- From non-English speaking backgrounds (NESB);
- People with disabilities;
- From regional and remote areas;
- Indigenous Australian students;
- Experiencing educational barriers and/or personal hardship (including but not limited to carers, sole parents, refugees).
Shortlisted applicants are interviewed and selected based on the below selection criteria.
- Ranked in ATAR order.
- Motivation to pursue a career in technology using innovative thinking and exceptional problem-solving skills, as demonstrated in the Scholarship application.
- Demonstrated initiative to seek opportunities to continually advance their professional and personal lives, as demonstrated in the Scholarship application.
- Commitment to become an active Westpac Scholars Alumni member and to make an influential contribution to raising the profile of technology in Australia, as demonstrated in the Scholarship application.
Scholarships will only be awarded to shortlisted applicants who personally attend an interview.
ELIGIBLE COURSESEligible Four (4) year degree courses:
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Diploma in IT Professional Practice
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Bachelor of Creative Intelligence and Innovation
- Bachelor of Business, Bachelor of Science in Information Technology
Eligible Five (5) year degree courses:
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Bachelor of Arts in International Studies
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) ICT Engineering, Diploma in Professional Engineering Practice
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) ICT Engineering (Telecommunications), Diploma in Professional Engineering Practice
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) ICT Engineering (Software), Diploma in Professional Engineering Practice
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) ICT Engineering (Network Security), Diploma in Professional Engineering Practice
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) ICT Engineering (Computer Systems), Diploma in Professional Engineering Practice
How to apply
All applicants must submit the Westpac Bicentennial Foundation Young Technologists Scholarship application form.
Applications for the Westpac Bicentennial Foundation Young Technologists Scholarship open on Wednesday 26 August 2015
Applications close midnight Monday 25 January 2016
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Interviews scheduled for Friday 12 February 2016.
Shortlisted applicants will be required to attend the interview. Applicants who do not attend the interview will not be considered for the Scholarship.
Opening date: 26 August 2015
Closing date: 25 January 2016