Sharing is caring!

Time is finite – We all have 24 hours in a day: no more and no less. However, some of us are a lot more productive than others and are able to do justice to both our personal and professional lives. Read more to understand how….

Personal time management skills are prized tools of effective people. People who use these techniques diligently are the highest achievers in any walk of life. The insights mentioned below will bring you a step closer to achieve your goals with less effort.

Finding out how you really spend your time helps in planning how you want to spend your time better. Start using activity logs to help understand where most of your daily energy goes. Once that is done, you can move into deciding what your priorities are be- it professional or personal. Assess how you utilise your time.

Effective scheduling is planning how to make the best use of your time. Start making a to-do list and start prioritising in order of importance or urgency. This allows you to separate important jobs with time consuming trivial ones. You may use a daily to do list to keep yourself motivated by ticking off the tasks once they get done; or you may use only one list and “chip off” the tasks as and when they are completed. However one thing to remember is try not to carry unimportant tasks from one list to another.

Use time management tools wisely and tweak them as per your needs. Nothing is worse than spending hours daily on prioritising your to do list!

Getting things done is an effective way to beating procrastination (when you put off things that you should be focusing on right now, usually in favour of doing something that is more enjoyable or that you’re more comfortable doing). One way to learn how not to do it is by recognising it. The moment your mind wanders on to the easier task, remind yourself of the urgent/important matrix in the to-do list. Get yourself time bound goals.

Delegate and learn to say no! All those tasks that are better off getting done by other members of your team, by all means delegate them! If there are certain things that come up suddenly which have no place in your urgent/important matrix please say no.

The Pareto principle – 80/20 rule states that 80% of unfocussed effort generates 20% of results. This means that the rest of the 80% of the results can be achieved by only working 20% of the time! By using effective time management skills we are in a position to identify and work to the best of our potential.

As we learn to manage our time better, we become more efficient and effective, reduce stress and are more confident about how to manage our lives better.

Sharing is caring!

shares