There is nothing quite like receiving a bouquet of flowers to make you feel special. Flowers can be given for lots of reasons, from congratulations to get well soon and just because. The giving of flowers to people we love is something that we all seem to share internationally and it’s as popular as it has ever been.
Flower specialists such as www.flowersforeveryone.com.au provide people with the opportunity to order flowers with just a click, making it easier than ever to make someone happy with flowers. A bouquet of flowers is a beautiful thing; if you receive one then you want to make the beauty last for as long as possible. It’s sad when flowers wilt and die and you lose that touch of colour in your home.
The art of making flowers last longer
It may surprise you to know that it is not actually that difficult to look after a bouquet of flowers in a way that helps to make it last longer. Here are the steps to follow if you want to keep your flowers fresh for as long as possible.
- Select a clean vase – Flowers do not like bacteria so it’s important that the vase you choose is clean before you place the flowers in it.
- Add warm water to the vase – you should never place flowers in cold water.
- Put two tablespoons of sugar into the water – this helps to keep the flowers nourished and also aids blooming.
- Add two tablespoons of white vinegar to the water and stir it in. The vinegar helps to prevent the build-up of bacteria in the vase. This helps to keep the flowers in a fresh state for longer.
- Remove any leaves that are at the bottom half of the stem which will be in the water.
- Cut off the bottom 1.5 inches of the stem. Remember to do this at an angle and to avoid crushing the stem.
- Arrange the flowers in the vase and place it in an area of your home that is cool and not prone to drafts. You should also avoid placing flowers anywhere where they are likely to be subject to direct sunlight.
- Make sure you change the water in the vase every other day. Each time you change the water you should re-cut the stems of the flowers.
That is all you really need to know in order to keep a bouquet of flowers looking good for as long as possible. There are certain points that apply to particular flowers, such as the fact that daffodils can kill other flowers that are placed in the same vase as them with a substance they secrete and hyacinths should ideally be kept on the bulb if you want the flowers to last. Hopefully we have given you enough information to make sure that next time you buy flowers, or receive them as a gift, they will keep looking beautiful for a while.